Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have an new light fixture with a plastic connector of some

sort that I need to...
I have an new light fixture with a plastic connector of some sort that I need to attach to my old wires that are attached to a double switch and have several wires combined.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I have a picture of the plastic connector. Is there a way to attach it?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: A picture would help. Can I attach one somehow?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) You can attach a picture on your end using the paperclip icon. Send me the pic so I can review and see what you have.

Can I face time you?
Hello?

1) The plastic connector shows 1 black, 1 white and 1 green.

2) Does the connector contain screws to terminate the wires?

OK, thanks for the pic.

1) Each side of the screws should be common and joined together under the plastic. You will need to terminate the hot, white and ground wires and match them up to the wire colors on the connector. If you have more than 1 wire for each, you will need to make up a pigtail splice (1 small 6 inch jumper wire) and splice it to the group of house wires that were installed from the previous fixture.

Let me know if that helps and reply back to me.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Thank You!

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

1) It is possible that the single black wire is a switched loop wire that extends from the wall switch to the light box. If you have a multimeter, you can confirm this.

I have a multimeter but I don't know what to set it on.

1) Set it to the AC voltage setting (horizontal "S"... sine wave symbol). Then set it to the 200 volt AC range. Place 1 meter probe to the single black and the 2nd meter probe to the white neutral wires. Flip the wall switch ON/OFF. If the wire is the switched loop, it will measure 120 when ON and 0 volts when OFF.

The breaker needs to be in the ON position in order to confirm and measure voltage

it reads .562. Is the multimeter set to the right setting based on the picture I sent you?

Reverse the black and red probes. They are in the wrong holes.

The voltage setting is correct. What about the range?

The readout stayed 0.

OK, place the meter probes into a known working receptacle. Use the 2 receptacles slots and not the round ground hole. Confirm if you can measure 120 volts on a working receptacle.

reads 118

OK, the meter is working.

1) The single hot wire has no voltage.

2) Do you remember how the wires were originally spliced. Did you take a picture prior to de-installing the original fixture?

Someone else disconnected it; we're asking them -- hold on....

OK

That person isn't responding -- is it safe to proceed and maybe just wire-nut that single wire to itself?

No, we need to confirm which wire is the switched loop wire that extends from the wall switch.

1) How many wires on the wall switch and the wire colors?

That is a 3-way switch. The black screw is either the hot circuit feed or the switched loop wire, depending upon which 3-way switch.

2 separate wall switches can control the light, correct?

OK, on the black screw, 1 switch will always be hot whether it is ON or OFF. That switch is the circuit feed switch.

The other 3-way switch is the switched loop one. You will need to confirm the wire color and measure for 120 volts on the black screw of the switched loop 3-way in order to confirm voltage.

Okay how do I measure? one multimeter lead on the black screw, but where does the other lead go?

To a white neutral or to a bare copper ground. Flip 1 switch ON/OFF to confirm 120 and 0 volts.

With the breaker ON, I don't get any reading when I put one lead on neutral and the other lead on the black wire. When I test the multimeter like you said before, i get a reading of 118. So I'm not sure at all what's going on

1 switch will always measure 120 volts on the black screw whether either switch is ON or OFF. The 2nd switch will only measure 120 volts on the black screw when either switch is ON.

With the switch that I'm testing in the ON position, with one lead on the black screw and the other lead on the neutral wires, I get a 0 meansurement. So clearly I don't know what I'm doing....

Then there is either an open wire or faulty termination or a faulty switch. The black screw on one 3-way will only measure 120 when a switch is ON and will measure 0 volts when one switch is OFF.

Just realized that when we flip the breaker back to on we don't have power in this room at all. Guess that's why the meter doesn't read anything. We had power before we started.
Oh man! There is a reason we don't DIY!!!!

The breaker must be turned ON in order to measure voltage

The breaker will not come back on. Switched it back to on but still no power
Do breakers go bad?

Then there is either a loose wire or a faulty splice.

Breakers can become loose or can become faulty, but seldom occurs. I would suspect a wire issue downstream from the breaker.

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
How do we determine it there is a loose wire on the breaker?
ProGrade
ProGrade, Electrical Contractor
Phone call session started

I am not able to make a phone call at this time.

Kill power to the branch breaker and confirm if it is securely fastened. I doubt if the issue is at the breaker. Most likely an incorrect splice or a loose splice or a loose termination downstream from the breaker.

I see that another expert accepted the phone call request. They will be able to assist you.

The phone call didn't go through.

I sent your question to customer service. Not sure who the expert was, who accepted your call request? Wasn't me:)

I am not able to make a call as I am on a conference call for Hurricane Irma.

Are you in Florida? We talked to someone in Florida and he helped us with the breaker. We now know that the black wire is 120 volts. Do you have time to help us proceed?
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor