Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

House is wired for a three prong dryer but it should be a…

Customer Question
House is wired for...

House is wired for a three prong dryer but it should be a four to accommodate the new dryers. Can i rewire the existing 220 as +/- Ground/Neutral?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Buying a new house.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Thank you, ***** ***** thinks that's about it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 11 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

All you need to do is replace the dryer cord with a 3 wire one. In the dryer you'll connect the ground to the neutral termination.

okay
I haven't tried it on the new four prong dryers. I had thought of running a separate ground to box and redoing the outlet.

Replacing the cord set for existing circuits is code compliant. No other way acceptable.

in other words my idea would work, but it wouldn't be code compliant. Replacing the cord sounds easier.

Never thought of doing it other than code approved.