Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I am looking to convert a Three Wire (Live, Earth, Neutral)

Customer Question

Hello, I am looking to convert a Three Wire (Live, Earth, Neutral) Wall Sconce to a plug in. Ideally, I am installing the sconce on a Bed Headboard and would like to just be able to plug it into an outlet. I was told I could do this through a two-wire lamp plug, but I am second guessing the advice. Is this possible or will I have to install a different way? Any and all advice is welcome as I am completely new to this.Thanks,John
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many wires and the wire colors on the sconce light?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Two of each. Earth (green), Live (brown), Neutral (blue)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
More photos attached
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reply and the pic's.

1) OK, you will need a 3 conductor lamp cord and a 3 prong receptacle plug. Since you have a green earth wire, the plug needs to be 3 prong.

2) On the 3 prong plug, the brass screw will terminate to the brown hot wires, the blue wires will terminate to the silver screw and the green/yellow ground wires will terminate to the 3 prong green ground screw.

3) You will need to make up a pigtail splice to terminate the wires to the cord plug. Only 1 wire each will terminate to the cord plug terminal screws.

Reply back with any questions...........Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)