Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I, I've seen quite a bit of disagreement about whether you…

Customer Question
I've seen quite a...

I've seen quite a bit of disagreement about whether you should use the terminals on a normal duplex box as a pass through (hot on one brass screw and 2nd hot on the other) versus pigtailing. What's your take?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just a fairly simple room addition on a 20 amp circuit.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/7/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 11 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Using the 2 screw terminations and pass through are normal. Pigtails are employed when there are more than 2 wires. Only one wire under a screw.