Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Strangest thing. my son just bought a dryer and I ran a 30a…

Customer Question
Strangest thing. my son...

Strangest thing. my son just bought a dryer and I ran a 30a 10/3 line to dryer. plugged it in and dryer would not start. breaker ok but no power to outlet from one hot leg. if I reset breaker, then I have power to outlet until I try to start dryer. lastly the hot leg that loses power will have no current when I depress the power switch but its fine if I let it go. hope this explanation makes sense.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

3 hrs. not sure if its an appliance problem or electrical issue with one of the residential components.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

As stated, dryer and my install are new.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No. thxs.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/7/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 11 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Can you successfully measure voltage at the dryer cord terminals located on the rear of the dryer?

2) Can you measure 240 across both hot legs at the dryer cord connection and can you measure 120 from each hot to the middle neutral terminal at the cord termination?

ill be over my son's house tomorrow to check.
thxs.

OK, very good.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)