Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Had a power outage. power came on. fan did not. checked

Customer Question
Had a power outage...

Had a power outage. power came on. fan did not. checked everything. used remote with another fan. receiver?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Power went out 2 weeks ago.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If replacing the receiver is all i have to do.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We determined that we have power at the fan, but maybe not through the receiver.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Electrical
9/7/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 11 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the receiver located under the ceiling canopy cover?

2) Do you have either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multimeter to confirm voltage at the receiver?

just answer the question. thank you.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Kill power to the circuit breaker that controls the fan.

2) At the receiver output, remove the wirenuts from the fan wires and measure for 120 volts from the black to the white while toggling the handheld transmitter while restoring power to the breaker. Let me know the results.

out put. done.
nothing

OK, next step is to kill power to the breaker. Then remove the 2 wires at the receiver input and measure for 120 volts on the house black and white wires. Restore power at the breaker prior to measuring voltage. We need to confirm that the receiver has 120 volts on the input side.

input. yes

Please confirm, you have 120 volts on the receiver input, but 0 volts on the receiver output, is that correct?

1) If you can measure 120 volts on the input side, but 0 volts on the output side while toggling the transmitter accordingly, then the receiver is defective and will need to be replaced. The receiver output needs to send 120 volts down to the fan and if a light kit is installed.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)