Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Experience:  Maintenance Electrician, Electrical Contractor, Locomotive Electrician
16916066

Trying to hook up ceiling fan and light to two switches on

Trying to hook up ceiling fan and light to two switches on the outlet. One switch has a black and red going up to the junction box. The other switch is connected via black to the first switch and then has a yellow going up to junction box. So I have black, red, white, and yellow coming out. The fan has black, blue, red, and green. I know black to black and white to white, and red to the blue, but not sure that yellow is a ground wire as it is attached to the toggle switch.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About an hour.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The home is early 90s wiring, so I don't think those yellow wires are ground wires.
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: The system is about 25 years old. Have not consulted an electrician yet. Just ran into this issue.

Hi I can help. Let me read over what you typed in and I'll be right back with you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks.

ok, your yellow will hook to your blue and control your lights.

Either the red or the black connects to the fan black to control your fan. Is one hanging by itself?

white will connect to white as you said

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Right now I have black to back, white to white, and red to blue, with the yellow hanging by itself and the green from the fan, which I assume gets grounded on the support bar.

was the black from the ceiling box hanging by itself or on with other wires?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Actually, there are three white and three black coming out of the ceiling box. What was originally on there when we bought the house was a light, with all the blacks to black on the light and the whites to the white on the light.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was controlled by one of the switches, with the other switch doing nothing. I would add that the switch that just the light was on was the switch with the yellow wire.

ok, then you need to hook up fan black to ceiling red, fan/light blue to ceiling yellow, fan white to ceiling whites

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The red wire was the odd wire out by itself. It was connected to the switch not in use.

yes and now that would control your fan so now you will have 2 wall switches to independently control fan and light

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ceiling black not connected to anything?

No, it just stays together in that bundled

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Light works, fan doesn't.

is the pull chain on and the season switch not in the middle position?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hold on. It appears that the wall switch for the fan is broken. The toggle just came loose in my hand.

ok, that could be an issue

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I moved the fan to the other switch and it works, so it must be a bad switch that needs replacing. Looks like everything is working (except for the broken switch). Thanks so much for your help. Wiring in this home has been a bit of a challenge with nor ground wiring and all these yellow wires about.

ok, good luck! Don't forget to rate my answer so I get credit with JA for answering

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do. Thanks again.