Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Experience:  Maintenance Electrician, Electrical Contractor, Locomotive Electrician
16916066

I want to connect installed wiring to an above sink light

I want to connect installed wiring to an above sink light switch and a GFI outlet. I can send picture of open box and wires

Hello, yes if you would send the picture(s). That would make it easier to help you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The picture should be attached

ok. So the devices (switch and GFCI) were removed and you need to know how to rewire them?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct. Including the red and black in the panel. I ask that because I assume the red and black go into the same breaker
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The neutral is already in the bar

is there another switch that controls that same light?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is a sperate run for that ceiling fan/light switch

Do you happen to have a multi-meter to test voltage and continuity? Is the light down where you can see the wiring in that box?

You mean that light/fan is on it's own breaker?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The r/b/w line in picture goes straight to panel. The b/w line goes to above sink light.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The r/b/w line in picture goes straight to panel. The b/w line goes to above sink light. I have tested the lines and they are not installed on a breaker in the panel
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know continuity is good.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In answer to does fan/light have own breaker.....this is a modular house. Large panel and overwired

ok. I'm assuming that in the r/b/w the red is for the light and the black is for the GFCI. That would mean that the whites go together with a wire nut and a pigtail is run from the whites to the GFCI line side "White". Then the black goes to the GFCI Line side "Black". The Red goes on the switch terminal and the black from the left cable goes on the other switch terminal

Twist the grounds all together and cap - and put in two pigtails, one for switch and one for GFCI.

I assume that there is not an open breaker for the red and the black then?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is an open breaker.
Also, the box never had anything installed in it. It was just placed there and wired for future use.

If these will be 2 circuits sharing that neutral then they need to have a 2-pole 15 or 20 amp breaker.

I you just want to use one breaker then you might as well just connect either the red or the black and tape or cap the other one off in the panel and the box

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I just use the black how does that change the directions now.

That would mean that in the switch box, the whites go together with a wire nut and a pigtail is run from the whites to the GFCI line side "White". Then the black from the r/b/w goes together with 2 pigtail wires - one for the GFCI Line side "Black" and the other for a terminal on the switch. Then the black from the left cable goes on the other switch terminal. Finally twist the grounds all together and cap - and put in two pigtails, one for switch and one for GFCI.

In the panel you said neutral is connected to neutral bar. So then just connect ground in also and black would go to spare breaker.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The part at the end you say: and put in two pigtails.....
I don't get that part.

It just means add a short section of wire to connect the devices. See the graphic

So put the 2 existing ground wires together with 2 more short sections of wire (pigtails) all under one wire nut and connect the pigtails to the devices

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Can we keep this open for a few hours in case I need you again?

Sure but if you don't need me again. Please don't forget to come back and rate my answer. its the only way I get credit here with JA

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All done.

Awesome! Glad to help. Thanks for the follow up pic. I always like to see the end result