Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Wiring garage have 14-3 and 14-2 wire going to outlet and

there is no ground how...
Wiring garage have 14-3 and 14-2 wire going to outlet and there is no ground how would you hook these up to sub panel
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/26/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Which cable is live?

There both not live was running from house overhead. Then I ran new line through conduit. Now have to just hook it up to sub panel
There was no power to garage when I moved in just existing wire in garage

To get a ground you can put green tape on the red or strip it bare. Connect the black to a breaker and white & ground to neutral bar. The 2 wirecable can use the same ground in the garage.

Okay how would you run this on 2 single breakers or one double pole
Cause ones got 2 hots and a neutral the other one has hot and one neutral. Just run one hot as a ground?

2 single pole breakers on black wires. Having individual circuits exempts the use of a driven ground rod. Both circuits need to be GFCI's.

Okay so 14-3 and 14-2 run hot from each to own breaker. Use other hot as ground from 14-3. Just put the neutrals on the bar from both wires

Correct. If connecting to a main panel, ground connects to neutral bar. If connecting to a sub panel, ground connects to ground bar.

on the outlet just put that hot on the ground screw back to the ground on sub panel

When identified as being used as a ground, yes.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician