Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Sure. I'm trying to get my range hood to work. Thought it…

Sure. I'm trying to...

Sure. I'm trying to get my range hood to work. Thought it might be a bad breaker so I just replaced it. Still not working though. Any ideas?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About an hour or so

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on the difficulty

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Don't think so

8/20/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I can help you. Is the hood on it's own breaker? Do you have a multi-meter or voltage tester available?

it is. And I have a no touch voltage tester.

Ok, you can take the wiring compartment cover off and test to see if there is voltage making it to the hood.

It looks like it is. This no touch tester might be too sensitive for this.

Did you try and upload a picture? I got nothing here

What's the voltage range of the sensor?

Sorry. One sec. The voltage range is 120-160 I believe.
My bad. 50-1000V

ok. that should be fine for testing 120 volts. Even if the wires are close together

I'm sorry I meant the wiring compartment of the hood

I got the pics

Oh okay. That one might be a bit tricky. One minute

ok

Yes that's it. That silver cable should be your incoming power feed from the breaker

My advice would be to turn off the power to it, then open up the small connection box and spread it all out so nothing is touching. Then turn it back on and you can check with your tester if the hot wire is receiving power

Can you get the small metal cover off where the silver cable comes in?

Yep. One sec.
I found a broken fuse in here. Finally lol
I should be good from here. Thanks for the help!

Ah ok!

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Thanks for the rating!