Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a class 2 plug-in transformer who's 2 wires got

unattached. It has two screws...
I have a class 2 plug-in transformer who's 2 wires got unattached. It has two screws at the bottom under the word "load" and power runs through it just fine, but when I reattach the wires, power stops running through the screws (and energy does not flow through the wires). The wires power the garage door system, so somehow I've got to restore power through them. I've cleaned the wires as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/19/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

What do you have for a tester?

I have a non- contact 50-1000V voltage tester.

That tester picks up voltage in the area of any voltage. You need a 2 wire voltage tester to verify output if any. You can strike across the screws with a wire between them to see if there is any voltage.

Okay, what should I do if 1) there is no voltage or 2) there is voltage?
The test on the screws should show 16.5VAC. if it does the problem isn't the transformer.

.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Ok, thank you!
Anytime, you're welcome.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician