Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My parents just sold out old family home of 60+ years to…

Hi. My parents just sold...
Hi. My parents just sold out old family home of 60+ years to move in with me. I wanted to bring some touches of the old house along, so took the Rittenhouse model 12 doorbell chime (plate shows 10 volts, 4 watts). We couldn't easily get to the transformer, so left that behind. When I connected the old chime to my relatively new transformer, I got a wimpy ding, but no dong. I believe I need to replace the transformer for one with the right oomph to it. If so, how do I know which transformer to choose, and is it safe for me to do myself if I turn off the power or should I call an electrician to do it? Thank you!
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/19/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello I can help you. I will do a search for a transformer for you and be back with you shortly

Having a difficult time finding one for 10 volts. Still looking

Thanks. I appreciate you tenacity.
Thanks, I'll order one from Amazon. Once it comes in, is this job safe to do myself? I've changed out power outlets and wired sconces, but still have a healthy gear of electricity.
Fear, not gear...

As long as you find the circuit breaker powering your existing transformer and turn it off it will be safe to do.

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

No problem. Please don't forget to give me a rating before logging off. It's the only way I get credit for answering

Good luck!

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Thanks for the rating and the bonus. Much appreciated!

You definitely earned both. Thanks again, and have a great weekend.

Thanks. You do the same