Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Need help determining wire size, wire type, and conduit size…

Customer Question
Need help determining wire size...
Need help determining wire size, wire type, and conduit size for 200amp panel with a 200 amp subpanel. Here is a list of my questions: http://mnjustin.com/diagram.jpg
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/15/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 10 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Is this residential or commercial? Send the diagram.

residential. Can you see the diagram on this link: http://mnjustin.com/diagram.jpg

Attach the diagram to your message.

Meter to main service panel- 2 inch PVC with 2-4/0 & 1-2/0 aluminum THHN or URD.

Main service panel needs a lug kit not a sub panel breaker. They never allow on of that size. The alternative is a disconnect separate from the panel. #4 copper ground wire.

Sub feed 2 1/2 inch PVC with 4/0 URD 4 CONDUCTOR. Ground #4 copper.

is URD 4 CONDUCTOR permitted if part of the run from the main panel to the sub panel is in a building?

Yes it is.

2-4/0 & 1-2/0 aluminum from masthead to meter: what type of wire?

Use the URD or a THWN. The W means the insulation is suitable for wet enviorment. Any wiring outside is wet enviorment.

URD 4 CONDUCTOR: does that mean 4/0, 4/0, 4/0, 2/0?

For the sub feed, yes.

Main service panel needs a lug kit not a sub panel breaker. Does this mean that the hots from the URD 4 CONDUCTOR for the subfeed does not connect to a breaker in the main panel?

Never saw a panel that would allow a breaker for a sub feed that big. The lug kit looks like a breaker without a switch. It plugs in and makes the main breaker the breaker protecting the sub feed.

The panel label will show breaker limits.

something like this?: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-Sub-Feed-Lugs-for-150A-225A-Load-Centers-ECLK2225/207050664

That's it.

are there any options that leave me the option to shut off power to the subpanel from the building with the main panel in it?

The main breaker will shut off both panels. The other option is to install a disconnect and junction to feed both panel mains.

Ground #4 copper: stranded or solid?

Stranded.

One more thing. You'll need to install a ground bridge between the double rods and the panel on the #4 copper. It is for grounds on phone, cable TV etc.

I am struggling to find URD Quadruplex. Do any of these work for the subfeed?
4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0 Black Stranded Al USE MHF Cable
4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0 Gray 3E AL SER Cable
4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0 Grey Stranded Aluminum SER Cable
Try an electrical supply house. Geaybar, Menards are 2. You won't find it at a home center.

It is available on Amazon.

100' Aluminum URD wake 4/0 4/0 4/0 2/0 Cable Direct burial Wire XLP USE ???
do I need to install this wire in conduit for the portion of the run inside the building?
thanks for all of your help, I appreciate it!!!!
Anytime, you're welcome.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician