Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Is there anyway to determine if the fan motor did overheat,

Customer Question
kevin is there anyway to...
kevin is there anyway to determine if the fan motor did overheat,
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
8/14/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 3 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Possibly, but will really depend upon if any damage to the motor was caused by flames.

2) The motor would need to be de-installed and a visual inspection would need to be performed on the interior and exterior of the motor. The motor will also contain a starting capacitor that is either wired externally to the motor or wired internally. The fan motor contains a winding coil. If an overheated motor, the coil winding's on the motor would have showed signs of melting. The motor capacitor may also show signs of burnt marks or melting.

thank you,one more question:the fan was plugged into the wall socket,on the outside of the plug plate it was black,would you consider that a fire or did the plug do its job and cut off.the plate plug in wasn't melted,would you consider that a fire?

A few different possibilities as shown below:

1) Most likely when the fan fell off the bracket, the cord plug was loose and arcing occurred. Another possibility is that the electrical wires inside the wall receptacle box may have been loose and can also have caused arcing. Even a loose receptacle in the box can cause arcing.

2) Whenever a receptacle shows signs of burnt and/or melting marks, electrical arcing took place which can lead to a possible fire.

kevin the plug in wall socket,and plate only has black marks on it,no melting on outside,could that have been consider a fire

1) Not a fire, but since it showed signs of black marks, electrical arcing definately took place. Possibly faulty prongs on the fan cord or an issue with the receptacle. Electrical arcing will spark and show signs of burnt marks but does not always lead to a fire. The right conditions have to exist in order for a fire to start from arcing.

thank you i'm going to send you a few pictures tomorrow how do i send you pictures?

No problem, glad to assist.

On your end, you will have a paperclip icon where you can attach pictures.

I will be logged on here tomorrow, but not in the afternoon. Send me the pics and I will review them and reply back to you.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor