Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Replacing an outlet which was previously controlled by a…

Customer Question
Replacing an outlet which...

Replacing an outlet which was previously controlled by a switch, but the switch has been previously removed. Now I need to know which wires to use and which to remove/cap/disregard?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The switch control was made inoperable by remodel on opposite wall 5 years ago

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, are you working with a contractor?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

That was my intent

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Reason for current work is to change from two-prong receptacle to three-prong

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/14/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 11 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

In as much as there is a wall removed youll need a 2 wire voltage tester to verify having power at the outlet. Do you have one?

no, I do not. I've thought of getting such a tool, wasn't sure what makes sense for the home DIYer.

Any Volt/Con type tester will do. It does both voltage and continuity. Available at any home center for around $20.00.