Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

My daughter is living in a small village in Cameroon. There…

Customer Question
My daughter is living in...
My daughter is living in a small village in Cameroon. There are often periods of reduced or no electricity. How would this impact running electronic equipment such as a laptop computer?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/7/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 6 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

It should only prevent the charging of the aptop battery. No effect on her than that.

Thank you. A few more details about the situation. She is experiencing problems with a laptop computer, seemingly not able to power on. It worked 3 weeks ago when I first brought it to her from the states. Then she left on a trip for about 2 weeks. When she returned and tried to power up the computer, no go.
She has reported having a problem with her iron. It never heats up sufficiently to iron her clothes.
I was wondering if perhaps her power source in the village is insufficient to power her laptop or recharge the batteries. She has a voltage regulator.

No power and low voltage are different. Low voltage can cause damage. Also we have 60cycle electric. Many other countries have 50 cycle. The difference could damage the charging unit.

Will you be calling me shortly?
It should only prevent the charging of the aptop battery. No effect on her than that.I'm not sure I understand. What should only prevent the charging of the battery? Why would it prevent the charging of the battery? We did try having her remove the battery and attempt to turn on the computer using just the power adapter.

She needs a voltage tester to verify what she has available.

Are you available for a phone call?

Yes, I am.

Please call me at(###) ###-####
I keep getting a payment error message but have updated payment into several times. What is the problem with paying for the phone consultation?
What will a voltage tester indicate? Is it possible that a location with a poor power supply is consistently sending less power than necessary to power an iron or computer? She is able to charge a cell phone.

It would show the exact voltage both on the receptacle and the other end of the charger. She needs the exact voltage at the laptop for operation. Removing the batteries is not a good idea. The power for the laptop should only come through the batteries. Direct source could cause damage, the battery provide correct voltage if charged.

I keep trying to request a phone call but keep getting a payment error message.

A phone call won't offer anything more than that I have given you. I suspect that the laptop has been damaged by the attempts to power it bypassing the battery.

We only tried once to power the laptop without the battery in place and that was after experiencing the problem of the laptop not powering on.
I need some very basic information about how electricity works. I suspect an issue with the electrical supply at her house given the issue of not being able to properly heat an iron. I could be completely wrong in my assumption but that's because I don't know anything at all about how electricity works to power appliances. It just seemed so odd to me that a laptop that was working correctly two weeks ago is suddenly not working. All I could think was that the battery power had run down and the power supply was insufficient to recharge. I don't understand how determining the voltage will help diagnose the problem. What level of voltage is required for a laptop battery to recharge? I do think a phone call would help my understanding of the problem so I can explain to her the necessary steps to determine how to get her laptop running again. She is a volunteer in a very remote village and has very limited technical resources.
If you are unable to further assist, I will end the session.

Batter removed and bypassed are two different things. The laptop needs a battery to work. If with a battery it doesn't the battery needs replacing. The voltage there is 220V 50cycle. Our voltage is 120V 60cycle. The charging unit for the laptop should match the available power. If not damage to the charger and laptop can occur.

I'll opt out.

She has a voltage regulator/converter. I assume that device is converting the voltage to the proper amount?
Thank you for your time.
Electrician: James I, Electrician replied 6 months ago
James I
James I, Electrician

Good afternoon, I see the previous expert opted out.

To assist you further I really need to know what is shown on the label of the laptop charger and her iron, this will advise the expected input voltage, and the details of the regulator being used.

The regulator most certainly will not be able to provide power to the iron, so assume she is using the regulator t just power her laptop?

James I
James I
James I, Electrician