Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm replacing an older outlet that has 6 wires running

Customer Question
I'm replacing an older...

I'm replacing an older outlet that has 6 wires running through it the wire gauge seems to be larger than what will fit into the new outlet

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I just opened the outlet yeterday

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The wire doesn't seem to fit into the holes on the back of the new outlet - does that mean that I need to purchase a specific kind of replacement outlet?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Electrical
8/6/2017
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 9 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, I can help. I will review your information and be with you momentarily

ok
that's what I've done for all the other outlets I've replaced, however, since there are 6 wires running out of the existing plug, I cannot just use the 4 screws.

What you would need to do is use a short wire extension and twist the wires together with a wire nut. It is called "pig tailing"

Then you fold the connections into the box and then push in the receptacle

Can I buy a replacement outlet that would be able to accommodate the 6 wires as they are?

I'm not familiar enough with wiring and devices from South Africa. I will have to opt out and see if another expert can help you with that.

I'm not from South Africa

Oh ok, where are you from? The information on your question says South Africa

Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician