Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm replacing an older outlet that has 6 wires running

Customer Question
I'm replacing an older...

I'm replacing an older outlet that has 6 wires running through it the wire gauge seems to be larger than what will fit into the new outlet

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I just opened the outlet yeterday

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The wire doesn't seem to fit into the holes on the back of the new outlet - does that mean that I need to purchase a specific kind of replacement outlet?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
8/6/2017
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 1 year ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, I can help. I will review your information and be with you momentarily

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that's what I've done for all the other outlets I've replaced, however, since there are 6 wires running out of the existing plug, I cannot just use the 4 screws.

What you would need to do is use a short wire extension and twist the wires together with a wire nut. It is called "pig tailing"

Then you fold the connections into the box and then push in the receptacle

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I buy a replacement outlet that would be able to accommodate the 6 wires as they are?

I'm not familiar enough with wiring and devices from South Africa. I will have to opt out and see if another expert can help you with that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not from South Africa

Oh ok, where are you from? The information on your question says South Africa