Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I never saw your responses to my follow-up question until…

Customer Question
Hi Sam,I never saw your...
Hi Sam,I never saw your responses to my follow-up question until this evening but if you are available, I still have switches hanging out of my gang box and would love to make the TP-Link switch work if at all possible.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electrical
8/6/2017
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 10 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello. yes I can help you

I read back through your post from April. It might be a problem with the neutral being on a separate circuit than your 3rd switch. Did you ever find a meter and do a voltage test between the hot at the 3rd switch and the neutral bundle?

Also, was there something plugged into the receptacle when you wired the TP-Link switch and turned on the circuit breaker?

I am a novice when it come to electrical testing. Can you tell me what setting the dial needs to be on and how you want me to place the black and red test pins?
It needs to be on the VAC setting on thr 200.
For ac it doesn't mater which color test lead goes where. You will want one on the copper of the white bundle of wire and the other on one of the wires connecting to your switch (test both)
Actually put it on VAC 600

Did you receive my replies earlier? How's it going?

Sorry we were gone for most of the day.
Testing as indicated the native black on the 3rd switch with the red probe and black probe on the common whites shows 120 on the meter. The other black taped (white) wire on the 3rd switch shows 0.
To answer your earlier questions, there was something plugged into the outlet but I think I tried it also with unplugging the item.
I had also previously tried wiring the TP-Link without the white common (just the two blacks on the third switch) and it doesn't trip the breaker and the LED illuminates on it but when I press the switch to turn it on it clicks open the circuit and then clicks closed turning right back off.
The fan switches (1st and 2nd) switches in the gang box are in a different circuit as they are still hot when I turn off the breaker that control the receptacle and that 3rd switch.
I had someone tell me earlier that it shouldn't matter if they were regarding the white commons but it sounds like you are saying that may be incorrect?
There's an easy way to test and see if it is the other circuit neutral causing the trip. Go hook it directly into the outlet box. If you need help doing that take a picture of your outlet box with the receptacle hanging out so I can see the back and a good view into the box.
Well that is easier said than done as the outlet is behind the headboard of the bed. :( I likely will not have time in the next few days to tear the bedroom apart to get to it.

Ok. If that does end up being the problem we can switch the switched part of the outlet to be on the same circuit as the lights/fan controlled by the other 2 switches in the switch box. You would just need a short length of black and white wire about 6" long each

You could try hooking the switch up in place of one of the others in that box to get a quicker answer.