Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have installed a Turn of the Century low profile ceiling…

Customer Question
I have installed a...

I have installed a Turn of the Century low profile ceiling fan and light. Model(###) ###-#### The fan works fine. The lights will not come on??

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About an hour

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have wired it 2 different ways and nothing seems to work??

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Electrical
8/5/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 9 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the fan and light kit controlled via a remote or wall switches?

2) Does the fan contain pull chains?

3) Do you have a multimeter available to confirm voltage?

4) Is this a new or existing installation?

No remote, pull chains, no multimeter available, new installation

Thanks for the replies.

1) How many wires and the wire colors in the ceiling box?

I only had to hook up 2 wires, black to blue and white to white

1) Do you have the fan black spliced to the light kit blue and to the ceiling hot wire? If so, double check your splices.

2) The fan motor contains a black wire and the light kit is a blue wire. Both of these wires need to be spliced to the ceiling hot wire.

They are
The fan is working fine, the lights, not so much

OK, then you will need a multimeter to confirm voltage at the light bulb sockets. Possibly a faulty pull chain switch or a loose wire on the light kit portion?

1) I suggest to double check the ceiling box splices. Re-do the light kit blue wire and make sure you have a sufficient amount of bare copper from the blue wire to the splice.

I have two of these kits here, I have tried both of the light kits with thesame result?
What are the chances of two bad light kits???

1) Without having a multimeter, it becomes a guessing game as to the problem. Doubtful if 2 light kits are out-of-box failures. I would suspect a faulty splice.

1) Are you using the correct light bulbs that are rated for the light kit?

Yep, they are the ones that came with it

OK, then I would suspect a faulty wire nut splice. Remove the splice at the ceiling black wire and re-do the fan black and light kit blue splice.

If still not working, then you will need to obtain a multimeter to confirm if you are getting voltage at the bulb sockets.

Ok thanks

1) Also double check the white neutral splice at the ceiling box.

2) 2 out of box failures are very slim chance.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor