Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

A gfi in my basement bathroom popped yesterday. I unplugged…

Customer Question
A gfi in my basement...
A gfi in my basement bathroom popped yesterday. I unplugged everything and reset the gfi. it worked for about 4 minutes then popped again. I replaced the gfi the new one ran for about 4 minutes and popped. This circuit has been running just fine until yesterday. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
8/3/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 6 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please confirm, the GFCI works correctly under a "no load" condition for a few minutes and then trips, is that correct?

2) Do you have a multimeter which has a built-in continuity tester?

3) Temporarily back the GFCI out from the wall box, but do not disconnect any wires. Does the GFCI still trip when nothing plugged in?

I am not in front of the device right now. However when last there with things unplugged the light on the gfi was off; when I hit the reset button a red light came on. Then after a few short minutes it shut back off.

OK, thanks for the replies.

1) Does the GFCI have wires terminated to the LOAD side or only to the LINE side?

2) DO you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multimeter to confirm voltage at the GFCI?

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor