Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am trying to install a GE Z Wave Dimmer in wall switch and…

Customer Question
Hello! I am trying...

Hello! I am trying to install a GE Z Wave Dimmer in wall switch and there are only 3 wires in the box, no neutral. I have the load, line and ground only. I cannot seem to get the switch to work?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

For 2 days

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. Hopefully

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Electrical
8/2/2017
Electrician: Rick, Electrical Technician replied 11 months ago
Rick
Rick, Electrical Technician

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If it's just a switch leg you wouldn't have a neutral . You need a neutral to make this switch work

how do I get a neutral wire into the box?

You would have to fish a new (romex) line (hot & neutral) into the box and cap off the existing line lead.

Do you have more questions?

What would be the cost for something like this?

It depends on the where the switch is located and how difficult it would be to fish a new line to the switch box. Electricians are pretty good at fishing wires into difficult spots. The easier it is the less it will cost. It could be as little as $100.

Do you have more questions?

If I need an electrician do you guys schedule someone?

We only provide advice. I'm sorry but we don't do any onsite service work. Try a referral service like HomeAdvisor.com if you have no luck asking friends or family for a recommendation.
I'd appreciate a favorale rating