Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

It is my understanding the NEC does not have requirements…

Customer Question
It is my understanding...

It is my understanding the NEC does not have requirements for clearance above a window, only the sides and below the window is there a 3 ft minimum distance required. Is this correct?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just today.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It is already done. I just don't want problems when I get the inspection

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I just want to know about clearance above a window

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
8/1/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 6 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The NEC does not consider wall receptacles higher than 5 1/2 feet from the floor as required outlets.

2) You can certainly install a receptacle above a window, but if it is higher than 5 1/2 feet from the floor, but it won't count as part of the required wall receptacle spacing.

I was asking about the service head location and the associated conductors and the clearance requirements above a window. My original question was: "It is my understanding the NEC does not have requirements for clearance above a window, only the sides and below the window is there a 3 ft minimum distance required. Is this correct?"

1) Is this regarding installing a panelboard above a window?

No a service head on the outside of the building.

OK, I understand now. Thanks for confirming.

1) You are correct, the 3 foot clearance is only applicable below and/or to the sides of an openable window.

what happens now since my question was not answered?

I just answered your question in my previous reply. Are you not able to view it?

Your answer was about outlets and panel boards
not a service head.

My 1st answer was receptacles.....my mistake:)

My 2nd answer is about a service head. There is no clearance requirement for the service entrance conductors above an openable window location. The 3 foot clearance is only on the window sides and below.

Thanks
How much will I be charged?
this will be a one time charge - correct?

Yes, this is a one time charge. Your question shows a value of $8.00

Sorry about the original mix-up regarding the service head location. I was thinking that you were referring to receptacles above a window.

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor