Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I'm trying to help my son, whose new wife wanted a dimmer

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, I'm trying to...
Hi Pearl, I'm trying to help my son, whose new wife wanted a dimmer switch in both the living room (three switches) and bedroom (two switches). The switches we removed in both rooms had two black wires on the left side and one red and one green on the right side. We replaced the toggle switches with two-pole dimmer switches and wired them the exact same way. The only problem is that, while the dimmer switches works fine, the other switches don't work at all unless we shut the dimmer off and then you can turn the ceiling lights on. Then the dimmer won't work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I was helping my son for a few hours last night.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. He wanted to impress his wife and I had installed dimmers in the home he group in, so he figured it would be no problem. My lights never had more than two switches involved, though and his living room has three.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. I guess I included all relevant information.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
8/1/2017
Electrician: George Smith, Master Electrician replied 3 months ago
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Hi this is George. Can you send a pic with what you have done?
No. I am not at my son's place and neither is he. We wired the new switch just like the old switch: two black wires to the two red screws on the left side (facing the switch) and the red wire to a brass screw on the top right of the switch and a bare, copper wire to the green screw on the bottom right of the switch.

Sorry without seeing what you have done I can't guess what is wrong ?

Without some help I don't know. I'm an Electrician not a magician!

I'll opt out and let someone else guess!

We also reversed the two black wires in the dimmer, swapping out the top and bottom positions, to see if this would rectify the situation but that swap had no effect. It would seem that, with the living room, the only options we have would be two swap the position of a black and red wire but I have no clue what that would do, perhaps damage. Maybe we need a four-way switch since there are three wall switches in the living room.
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 3 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Let me review your question.

Look in the box. The red and black wires that enter together connect one each to the dimmerbred wires. The black wire connects to the other wire or wires.

Neither my son or I are at his place right now but I don't know what you mean about a red and black wire "that enter together" and the dimmer switch has no wires, just screws to connect wires too.
You have a dimmer with screw connections so the pair entering the box together, red and black connect to the gold screws and other wire or wires connect to the black screw or termination marked as common.
There is only a single gold screw Two others are red and one is green. The two black wires at connected to the two red screws, the red one to the gold screw and the bare, copper wire to the green screw. What might happen if I swapped out a black wire for a red wire?

One of the black wires is paired with the red wire entering the box. Both of those wires should be on the red screws. The single black should be on the gold screw.

Does it make a difference which black I swap out for a red wire?Just a reminder, we wired the dimmer switch the same way the regular switch was connected: two black wires onto the two red screws (which were not colored red but brass on the regular switch) on the left side of the switch (facing the switch), the red wire to the brass screw on the right side and bare copper wire to the green screw on the right.
Does it make a difference which black WIRE I swap out for a red wire?

A black and red are in the same cable and enter the box. They go onred screws. The other black enters the box with a white wire. That black goes on the black screw.

These boxes had no white wires, just two black, a red and a bare copper one.
We have n black screws either, just two red ones, a brass one and a green one
We have NO black screws either, just two red ones, a brass one and a green one

If there are only the 3 wires in the box it must be in conduit and you'll need a 2 wire voltage tester to identify the wires. Do you have one?

No.

Without identifying them Tere isn't anything I can tell you to do. I'll opt out.

Thanks, anyway.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician