Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a old house an while painting I realized behind a…

Customer Question
I have a old...

I have a old house an while painting I realized behind a steam radiator I have an electrical outlet. This outlet is about 3 inches behind it. I wanted to know if that is safe.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

I haven't talk to an electrican yet, everything in the house is 100 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Was thinking about it

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I was considering using a starter box an moving the outlet 5ft

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/31/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 6 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Moving the outlet makes sense in order to use it. If there is a basement below, check to see if the wiring is from below and if so, that is where the disconnect and junction should be made. Another code compliant way is to use an in the wall splice connector and running the circuit in the wall.

ok
It's on the 2nd floor an the wall next to it is brick
Could I use an extension cord there

A surface wireway of Wiremold would be the best solution. Don't use a cord.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician