How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ProGrade Your Own Question
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 565
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
ProGrade is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have 480v disconnect fed by a 3 pole 30amp breaker. How do I

Customer Question

have 480v disconnect fed by a 3 pole 30amp breaker. How do I step down to two separate 120V CIRUITS?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  David Bowden replied 2 months ago.

Hello… my name is ***** ***** I am very knowledgeable in this subject to help answer your question, would you like my expert advice today?

Expert:  David Bowden replied 2 months ago.

As a qualified expert, I am only able to offer you some basic and specific advice via this email/text, which may or may not have been sufficient enough to answer your question right now to your satisfaction.

Therefore, I think it would be very beneficial for you if we can discuss this further in depth over the phone, that way we can save a lot of time by not having to type and wait for a response. If you agree, please initiate and request a phone call.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dem can I get a phone csll
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  David Bowden replied 2 months ago.

yes you would need to request this from your end

Expert:  ProGrade replied 2 months ago.

Mr/Mrs Customer:

I disagree with the other "expert".

To get 120V circuits from an existing 480V supply, a step-down transformer is required.

If you will give me some more info, I can determine the size of the transformer...

What size 120V circuits do you need?

What size wire is at the 480V disconnect or what size breaker feeds the disconnect?

Let me know and we can continue.

Thank you

Expert:  ProGrade replied 2 months ago.

The other guy opted out but with the info I requested above, I can help.