Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have. 240 volt 2wire submersible well pump it runs above…

Customer Question
I have. 240 volt 2wire...
I have. 240 volt 2wire submersible well pump it runs above ground but when submersed will not run What is the correct wire to wire hook up, I was confused by your earlier post. What does back to one white to the other mean?
I
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electrical
7/30/2017
Electrician: ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor replied 10 months ago
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

Hi Bill welcome.

Does the pump have a control box or does it get power directly from the pressure switch?

Bill I would like to help but need your input.

I also need clarification of your question - "what does back to one white to the other mean?" is not clear to me. What are you asking?

Normally, a two wire pump needs two hots and a ground and would be powered directly from a pressure switch.

Electrician: ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor replied 9 months ago

Bill, still standing by to help.

Let me know how I can, thanks.

It is a 2 wire pump power comes thru pressure switch

Thanks, ***** ***** and a ground will do it.

why would it run above ground and not submerged.
Hello?
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 9 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, it looks like ProGrade was unavailable. I might be able to help you. How do you turn on the pump when it is above ground? Is it different for when it is submersed such as using a pressure switch?

Plug it into 220 volt outlet

So no pressure switch then?

No I bypassed it and use the same to turn pump on in the well where it now is.

Have you done a dunk test where you try to run it in a tank or bucket while you have it pulled?

Are you for sure that it's not powering on or are you just not getting water flow? Could be a stuck check valve. You could see if it is running and pumping water with a dunk test above ground

Have not done dunk test but I cleaned check valve and it was moving freely. I have always been able to hear if pump is running, pressure gauge does not move

Is that the built in check valve? Is there more than one check valve in the tubing/piping?

When you plug it in above ground, have you tried wiggling the wires and slightly tugging and pushing them toward the motor housing a bit? Could be loose wiring inside

Just the built in type, have not tried to wiggle the wires, The pump has two black leads and a green. I am using new wire that is black red and green how should this be wired

Are you opening up the pump and wiring it or did you splice the wires from a pigtail coming from the pump? What is the brand and model of the pump?

Wired from pigtail, It is a McDermott pump 1/2 hp 6 years old I don,t have the model

There could be an internal sensor that gets wet and keeps it from turning on. There are thermal switches, lightning arrestors, seal fail sensors. All depends on the manufacturer and model. That's why I was curious about the dunk test. If it doesn't run when immersed then it would likely be an internal problem with the motor.

One kind of obvious question, are you sure the well isn't dry?

Ha! Not dry, the guy I got it from saysit was running fine, he had to refrack and get a bigger pump.

Well I'm out of ideas. I can opt out and see if another expert has any better ideas.

Ok thanks

ok, good luck!

Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician