ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

We have a vacation home built in the mid-'70's, frame, two

Customer Question

HI. We have a vacation home built in the mid-'70's, wood frame, two stories, normal appliances, electric baseboard heat. We had a contractor do some work upgrading the kitchen including the addition of LED undershelf lighting and some additional outlets. When we reenergized the circuit there was some clicking noises coming from the circuit breaker. A local electrician said the breaker contact was worn so the breaker was replaced. Clicking continued so a "grease" was applied which fixed the noise. We have for some time been getting flickering of lights throughout the house. Mostly LEDs and CFLs, maybe an incandescent or two. Bulbs are securely in the sockets. Could this be worn contacts on numerous or all the breakers also? Is it dangerous? Thank you.
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: Built in 70's, not for the flickering problem.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It depends on what it is.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't believe so.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 2 months ago.

Welcome.

From your description, this sounds like a loose connection which could be on a single circuit or two, in the panel or even on the utility supply. "Worn Contacts" would bot cause this. Breakers to become defective but should not "click". Breakers do not use ir require grease.

Another possible cause could be noise on the system.

In this case, I recommend hiring a licensed electrical contactor to find and remedy the problem.

But...I am available if you have more questions or need more direction.

Thank you

Expert:  ProGrade replied 2 months ago.

In the extreme, this could be or could become dangerous, but is most likely to only cause the circuit(s) to not work and has the possibility of damaging the electronics in the LED lamps and other electronics in the home.

Expert:  ProGrade replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in, have you made any progress?

Have any additional questions?

Please rate my service so I can be paid for my time.

Thank you