Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Objective: ======= I want to tap into my ceiling fan, add an…

Customer Question
Objective: ======= I want to tap into...
Objective:
=======
I want to tap into my ceiling fan, add an electrical outlet to the same circuit, then have the ceiling fan dimmer control the lamp that I plug into the new outletSaid another way:
===========
I have a ceiling fan that has a dimmer switch on the wall for the light.Can I branch off the Ceiling fan connection in the ceiling and add a normal outlet to it?If I plug a lamp into the newly installed ceiling outlet, can I have the ceiling fan dimmer also control/ dim this new outlet and the lamp that is plugged into it?I would need a diagram and list of supplies
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
7/25/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 6 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) It is a violation of the National Electrical Code to control a receptacle using a dimmer switch.

My pendant lamps plug in. I need an outlet in the ceiling, is there some sort of remote dimmer that I can use to control the light level from the floor? (My ceilings are 14ft high

1) Receptacles are not allowed per code to be controlled by a dimmer switch.

2) Receptacles are either wired as "always live" or controlled by an "ON/OFF" switch.

ok, thanks!
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 6 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Both Home Depot and Amazon have plug in dimmer receivers controlled by remotes.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician