Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

After lightning hit my house my GFCI electrical outlet was

Customer Question

After lightning hit my house my GFCI electrical outlet was not working. I bought a new GFCI outlet and wired it together correctly according to the instructions that came with it and this does have a load. There is an indicator light on this new GFCI and it is green so I know it's getting power. But nothing that I plug-in works. I bought a receptacle tester and when I plug it in none of the lights come on. This means according to it that it is open hot but I also know none of the lights will come on if you plug it into an outlet with no power. I have checked the wiring thoroughly and it is correctly wired the line and load is not reversed. Can someone tell me why the indicator light is green but I'm still not able to use the outlet? When I hit the test and reset button the light stays green the whole time I'm not sure if this matters or not because this is the only GFCI outlet that I have that has an indicator light. I also noticed that this outlet that I bought is a 15A and I don't know what the other one was that I used to have because I threw it away but I checked one in the bathroom and it was a 20A
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: House was built in 2002 and no I have not talked to an electrician
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have so far
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: Electrical
Expert:  David Bowden replied 2 months ago.

H​ello my name is ***** ***** I can help answer your questions, would you like me to try?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

h​appy to assist, it would be best to discuss this over the phone so I can properly guide you to a safe solution, please initiate a call, thanks

Expert:  Sam I replied 2 months ago.

Hello, try pressing the reset button a little harder than you would think it needs to be. I have come across some where I had to use a tool to press the reset button in because to was so hard to do - and those were right out of the box brand new!