Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a combination switch/outlet that I would like to wire…

Customer Question
I have a combination...

I have a combination switch/outlet that I would like to wire into a box so that the switch operates the outlet. what would the wiring diagram look like? Thx

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

I'm putting together an extension cord to operate a device remotely. the diagram in the outlet box isn't very clear. Do I break off the fin for this application?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so. I've done this in the past but for some reason my mind isn't up to the challenge so far :). I thought I had it correct after tracing it with an ohm meter but not so. It shorts when I energized it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
7/22/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you.
1) break the bridge between black screws
2) connect black feed wire to black screw on switch end.
3) connect jumper wire from switch gold screw to receptacle black screw
4) connect white feed wire to silver screw
5) connect ground wire to green screw

If you didn't break the bridge.

1) connect black wire to gold screw

2) connect white wire to silver screw

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician