Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm trying to locate a junction box on a 1988 cavco

Customer Question
I'm trying to locate...

I'm trying to locate a junction box on a 1988 cavco manufactured home

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About 4 days I lost power in half of my house all of which are connected to one breaker

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I changed all the receptacles still nothing

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The problem started after I changed a couple receptacles my neutral wire is hot don't know where it got mixed up I checked all of the outlets they all seem fine

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electrical
7/22/2017
Electrician: ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor replied 10 months ago
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

Welcome to justanswer.com.

Is list a single-wide or a double-wide?

Double

If this problem crosses the halves, junction boxes are normally close to one end or the other and at about center.

If you are looking for junction boxes elsewhere in the double-wide there is no way of knowing where they might have placed junction boxes but they are required to be accessible and if only use for a junction box to have a blank cover on them.

The problem you describe...a neutral that is hot is a symptom of a loose neutral somewhere on the circuit at a location downstream of where you find it with a load on it. Obviously though, without a neutral the load will not work. this does not sound like a neutral getting switched with a hot wire although that is entirely possible if someone uninitiated has attempted to work on the system.

Yeah that's exactly what's going on are neutrals are reading hot on half of my house

Back to the junction boxes under the double-wide, many times you will see a piece of plywood or waferboard that is screwed up to the underside of the floor joists that has to be taken down to give you access to the connections from one side to the other.

Okay the problem occurred once I changed out a couple of receptacles

You want to look for a loose neutral at or just past the last working device (outlet or switch) on that circuit.

Remember, if it crosses the two halves of the mobile, it could be located where the haves tie together underneath.

I double checked all of the wiring and it was fine
I just trying to cross everything off my list before I have to crawl under my house and look for those junction boxes

Did you place the wires under the screw terminals or use the push in connectors at the rear of the outlet? if push in terminals I recommend that you revisit those outlets and change the connections to the screw terminals

I used all this screw-ins except for the receptacles that had three sets of wires

For sure, no need to crawl under there if it's related to this other work. Those outlets and the connections for them really sound suspect if that's when the problem occurred.

the best thing you could do for the outlet that had three sets of wires is connect all of each color under separate wire nuts with a 6-inch pigtail coming out of that connection to the outlet

Give me just a minute and we are going to try it how long do I have until they start charging me more money

You have until you are satisfied with my service.

If I had $25 I would

Just checking, did you get the circuit working?

We disconnected the neutral on all the three-way receptacles and we're going through each one one at a time
I'm reading 113 volts on most of my receptacles on that side

OK, thanks, ***** ***** 113v still probably due to a defective neutral but check all connections while the outlet is removed from the box.

If you have 120 between hot & bare it is bad neutral. If you only have 113 between hot & bare & neutral, probably a bad hot connection on the circuit.

We checked all of the neutral wires in the 3-way plugs and two out of three of them were hot
The half of my house that has no power is all on one breaker does that seem right? Living room and two bedrooms
You there

It is normal for all of that to be on one circuit in a mobile home.

If the problem is not resolved, you have to keep looking in each box on the circuit including switch boxes checking all joints & connections until you find the problem. The problem is sometimes found in a ceiling box. Just as you have experienced, it is tedious and time consuming but there is a loose connection on the circuit.

Just checking on you, have you made any progress?

Thanks

ProGrade
ProGrade