Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

We are considering buying a house with the old two wire

Customer Question

We are considering buying a house with the old two wire system. If we get the old federal pacific stab lock panel replaced with a new panel and CAFCI and Gfci combo breakers, would we be in in a position where we could safely run sensitive electronics (smart tvs, gaming computers ect) would this also be safer?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Yes, since the branch circuits are only a 2 wire and no equipment ground, combo AFCI/GFCI breakers will be required.

2) The downstream receptacles can then be changed fro m2 prong over to 3 prong receptacles and the GFCI protection will then be code compliant.

3) You also might want to consider a UPS system for the entertainment components. A UPS will protect against power surges and also provide battery backup during a power outage. UPS's are rated in watts and run time. Total up the wattage of each component and then decide on the quantity of back-up minutes you want in the event of the loss of commercial power during a storm.

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Any other questions?