Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Were under contract on a new home. There are some electrical

Customer Question

Were under contract on a new home. There are some electrical outlets that have 3-slot outlets that have an open ground. I'm wondering if this indicates larger problems? The inspector noted a lot of electrical issues, including a very old service panel, no AFCI protection, and branch circuit wiring that are rated too low for modern appliances / fixtures. Wondering if the seller can even fix this issue without fixing the whole system?
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: Originall built in 1958. No, just going off the inspection report.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, not qualified for that
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that's the gist of it. Thanks for your help!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Upgrading the electrical system is always possible cost being the main consideration
I suggest bringing an electrician to estimate the cost. With that info you can negotiate with the owner.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We have no time for that at this point. All I want to know is if the seller is trying to pull a fast one?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.
The age of the house and the owner could make issues not a problem to him. Many people live with problems as long as the lights are working. You can base a price adjustment on the inspection. Won't hert to try.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Our deadline is tonight, and seller waited til the last moment to negotiate. So we're scrambling right now
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.
Big decision to make. Could cost a couple of grand to bring it up to code.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. Thank you for the help.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.
Anytime, you're welcome. Good luck.