Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Replacing a ceiling fan. Two switches on wall for light and

Customer Question
fan. New fan has a...
Replacing a ceiling fan. Two switches on wall for light and fan. New fan has a black, blue, white and green. House has blue, white, red, green. How to hook up?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
7/13/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 4 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your electrical question.

1) Back out both of the wall switches from the wall box, but do not disconnect any wires. Which switch controlled the original light kit? Once you know the light switch, look at the 2 wire colors on that switch. Very possible, one of the wires is a red wire. If so, the red wire in the ceiling will splice to the light kit blue wire.

2) The 2nd switch will most likely have 2 black wires. If so, splice the ceiling black to the fan black. The fan black is used to control the fan motor speeds.

3) The house white neutral will splice to the fan white neutral.

4) The house green ground will splice to the fan green ground.

2 problems. Not sure which switch was light and which was fan, also, house box (at ceiling) has no black wire.

My mistake, I read your question too fast. Looks like the ceiling box contains blue, red, white and green.

1) What type of wall switches do you have installed? Both single pole switches (ON/OFF Snap switch) or is one of them a dimmer switch?

Please send follow up text

Not sure what you mean on follow-up text? We are texting here already.

1) One wall switch should contain a blue and the 2nd wall switch should contain a red wire, is that correct?

Correct

OK, then your choice on which switch you want to control the fan and the light.

1) The fan blue is for the light kit. The fan black is for the fan motor.

2) I recommend to splice the blue house to the fan blue and use the switch with the blue wire for the light kit. Then splice the fan black to the house red and use the switch with the red wire to control the fan motor.

I'll try it. Thanks.

OK, reply back and let me know how it goes and we can take it from there if necessary.

Thanks..........Kevin:)

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Any other questions?

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor