Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

My question is about fire danger. We have a neighbor that is

Customer Question
My question is about fire...
My question is about fire danger.
We have a neighbor that is running 3-400 ft of extension cords (assuming 16 gauge) as her permanent wiring to her property. The extension cords are plugged into each other sitting on dried pine needles in the woods in a high fire district area. She is running lights, refrigerator and heaters etc..
State electrical says that they have no jurisdiction over the property, but they said that the cords in question are protected by ground fault interrupter outlets and breakers within the service from arcing and causing a fire. Everything that I have read is that you should not have multiple extension cords connected together and that the connections can heat up and start a fire if the cords are over loaded. are the ground fault interrupter outlets and breakers enough to prevent a forest fire?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
7/13/2017
Electrician: Rico Soma, Electrical Technician replied 6 months ago
Rico Soma
Rico Soma, Electrical Technician

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Running "lights, refrigerator and heaters etc." on a 16 gauge even a 14 gauge cord 3-400' long will cause the cord to overheat and could cause a fire. It doesn't mater if where they are ultimately drawing their power from is properly protected.

Colorado State electrical said that they have no jurisdiction over this property owner, and that their jurisdiction ends at the power pole. Larimer County says that they do not enforce electrical codes, so our neighborhood is caught in the middle with this fire danger. Can you please give me your full name and qualifications so I can use this with our State legislatures. Larimer County keeps saying that State electrical says the property is safe, which we all know is not true.
Thank you for your time.
Aleesha

I'm a general contractor in NH I have no credentials in CO and I don't give my name out here. I'm sorry but I can't to more than confirm your suspicions.

Mike, Master Electrician