Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

What size wire is needed to run underground in conduit to a

Customer Question
garage about 60 feet from...
What size wire is needed to run underground in conduit to a garage about 60 feet from the main connection at the power pole? This would be connected to a subpanel in the garage.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: no specified time
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes. running the wire, but nt connecting it.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I know
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electrical
7/7/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 5 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many amps will the sub-panel feeder circuit be?

100

Stand by for a few minutes while I calculate the voltage drop. I will be back shortly.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

1) The National Electrical Code recommends the voltage drop be not greater than 3%.

2) A 100 amp feeder at 240 volts requires 4 AWG copper resulting in a voltage drop of 1.5% or a loss of 3.6 volts. Therefore 4 AWG copper will be code compliant.

3) If using aluminum conductors, 2 AWG aluminum will be required resulting in voltage drop of 1.4% or a loss of 3.3 volts. Therefore, 2 AWG aluminum is also code compliant.

4) A sub-panel feeder circuit needs to be a 4 wire circuit comprised of 4 conductors.....ie...... 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground. If installing Rigid or Intermediate metal conduit as the underground, a ground wire is not required since the metal underground conduit will act as the equipment ground.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Any other questions?

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor