Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Wiring a ceiling fan... 4 black wires and 4 wires. when I…

wiring a ceiling fan... 4...
wiring a ceiling fan... 4 black wires and 4 white wires. when I connect eveything the fan will run, but the switch doesnt work. just runs constantly
7/3/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you.
1) Is it just a fan or is there a light
on it?
2) Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? You need to identify the wires to the switch.
3) Does the unit have pullchain switches on it?
4) if there is a light, do you want to control only the light or both fan and light from the wall switch?
1) Is it just a fan or is there a light
on it? .............................with a light
2) Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? .................yes You need to identify the wires to the switch. ......How?
3) Does the unit have pullchain switches on it? ..................yes
4) if there is a light, do you want to control only the light or both fan and light from the wall switch?.............just want the switch to supply power to the fan unit. I'll use the pull chains to control light and fan.
OK, connect all black wires in the box together. With the voltage tester test each white wire to ground for voltage with the switch on. The wires showing voltage need to be tested again with the switch off. The white wire showing on and off voltage goes to the switch. Put black tape on it to identify it. Remove its paired black from the other blacks and connect that white in its place. You will connect the fan white to the whites and the black and blue fan wires to the independent black.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
That worked, Thx
You're welcome
That worked...Thx!