Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We have an outlet with 3 wires and one black wire and a

Customer Question
We have an outlet...

We have an outlet with 3 white wires and one black wire and a ground. The Black and white are a pair coming from the top, one white wire comes from the left and one from the right. Each white wire goes to the outlet next to the main one and those outlets each have 2 white wires, a black wire and a ground. The black and white are the pair, but the white wire is extra. We are trying to hook up GCFI to these. But can't get them all to work... The white wire running through all three is messing us up. How do we connect them?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About a day...

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, it seemed simple enough, but as I mentioned, the white wire running through the three outlets is making the GFCI Line/Load a bit confusing.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I am aware of

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
6/26/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Connect the white wires to a short white jumper wire and connect the other end of the jumper to the silver Line screw of the GFCI.

Connect the black to the gold Line screw and the ground to the green screw.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will try it and let you know how it goes. Might be a day or two as it is at a house we are working on. Thx!
No problem. You're welcome.