Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

What does the reset switch on an electric motor do? I have a…

What does the reset switch...
What does the reset switch on an electric motor do? I have a whole house fan with what appears to be a practically new big AO Smith 1/3 HP 120v electric motor on it. It wasn't working at all until I bypassed the 'reset' switch. Now it hums along beautifully. The person who removed it from the house said it was wired incorrectly at the switch, which might have caused this. When I press the removed reset switch I don't get anything from my meter. Seems like it's dead, but I don't know what it did to attempt to replace it. Thanks!!!!
6/16/2017
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great. Thanks! If you need any more information, just ask.

Electric Motor Thermal Overload Switch Trip Temperatures

Class A electric motor140oC / 284oF

Class B electric motor165oC / 329oF

The reset temperature is not precisely specified but the automatic thermal overload switch will reset after the motor cools down.

It is really needed to protect the motor! It needs to be replaced!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok...That makes a lot of sense. I'm just happy to know what it does! Now I can go looking for a replacement. Do you think it tripped too many times, which wore it out?

Yes and times wears it out !

I hope I was of help today? Please give me a good rating before you sign off today!

Thanks

George

George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your help George.

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great day............Thanks again.........George :)