Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Experience:  Maintenance Electrician, Electrical Contractor, Locomotive Electrician
16916066

I have a 2 horse baldor motor with only 4 wires how do I

Customer Question

I have a 2 horse baldor motor with only 4 wires how do I reverse it
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Reverse the connections on 2 wires. Check continuity for the pairs.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1 and 4 are connected to the live power and 2 and 3 are connected together
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.
There should be a wiring diagram on the motor. Send me a picture for review.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just had the baldor tag
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.
Is there a model number?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Baldor Lr2262. Spec 28-606-11039 frame 184 6234R
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

I was unable to get a wiring diagram online, so I'm going to opt out. Stand by, another expert having knowledge of this motor will take over.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All the motors I ever had to deal with on the farm you always switched 5 and 8 never seen just 4
Expert:  Sam I replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I can try to help. I will call the manufacturer and see if I can get a diagram. I will post if I get one.

Expert:  Sam I replied 3 months ago.
I got a reply from Baldor and they do not recognize that number. Can you upload a picture of all tags on the motor?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is the only tag
Expert:  Sam I replied 3 months ago.

ok, I got it. I believe that is a non-reversible motor but I will check with the manufacturer to be sure.

Expert:  Sam I replied 3 months ago.

Looking at the diagram I can have you try to connect 2 and 3 together along with the hot leg. Then 1 and 4 together with the neutral - I'm assuming a 115 volt power supply. When they are connected, bump the power on momentarily then off to see if it works.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
220 volt
Expert:  Sam I replied 3 months ago.

ok then you would connect 1 and 3 together alone. Then connect 2 to L1 (one hot leg) and 4 to L2 (the other hot leg). Bump power on and see if it spins like you want

Expert:  Sam I replied 3 months ago.
Ok I heard back from Baldor. It's an old obsolete motor and they say it can't be reversed electrically.
Expert:  Sam I replied 3 months ago.
Wish it was better news.
Expert:  Sam I replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. Please don't forget to give me a rating.

Expert:  Sam I replied 3 months ago.
Why are you giving a negative rating? What did I do to deserve that?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Disappointed it took 10 days to get a proper answer
Expert:  Sam I replied 3 months ago.

I gave you the information as soon as I received it. I got the final word just today from Baldor. It's a large company and it takes a while sometimes.