Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

We had a hot tub that was not functional in our back room of

Customer Question
a home we just bought...
We had a hot tub that was not functional in our back room of a home we just bought. We took the tub out but there is a panel still hooked up and I want it capped off --- The last electrician I spoke to said he would have to check with the county, there may be fines involved???
JA: Who manufactured the hot tub?
Customer: Don't know, it was just there, why?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No we already removed the hot tub, we just need an electrician to do something with that box, I want it capped off so no one gets hurt.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electrical
6/15/2017
Electrician: Rico Soma, Electrical Technician replied 5 months ago
Rico Soma
Rico Soma, Electrical Technician

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I don't understand you're last electician's comment either. Are you looking for a referral?

No, I just want to know why an electrician in Nevada told me that I can not cap off something that is no longer in use, without getting a permit.

Any modification of this type technically requires a permit. The thinking is that it could be a hazard if it's not done right

Electrician: machinc, Electrical Technician replied 5 months ago
machinc
machinc, Electrical Technician
The best and safest way to find out if you need a permit is to call your local building inspections office . Different towns can vary depending on what they feel is necessary.
If you need a permit it is no problem . You describe the scope of the work and they will either require a permit or not .
If they fo a before snd after inspection is the usual method.
You supply the electrician with the proof of the permit. The stages for scheduling inspections are described on the permit .
Either way a licensed electrician will have no trouble performing the work.
Its a matter of killing ( removing the breaker at the main box ) the feed to the hot tubs old location .
Then the old box can be left in place or it and the wiring removed in its entirety.
Local codes and requirements vary so do get in touch with your local building/ codes office before hiring an electrician.
It is highly unlikely that there should be a fine for removing something that was in place when you bought the home .
Always use licensed electricians and follow local codes and regulations and things should go well.
The electrician in Nevada was either erring on the side of safety or is correct about needing a permit . My statement at 6:39 should be your guideline for finding out for sure.
machinc
machinc
machinc, Electrical Technician