How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask machinc Your Own Question
machinc, Electrical Technician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 911
Experience:  AC/DCElectricity / Relay and apparatus/circuit reading/ 30 yrs Bell South
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
machinc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We had a hot tub that was not functional in our back room of

Customer Question

We had a hot tub that was not functional in our back room of a home we just bought. We took the tub out but there is a panel still hooked up and I want it capped off --- The last electrician I spoke to said he would have to check with the county, there may be fines involved???
JA: Who manufactured the hot tub?
Customer: Don't know, it was just there, why?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No we already removed the hot tub, we just need an electrician to do something with that box, I want it capped off so no one gets hurt.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rico Soma replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I don't understand you're last electician's comment either. Are you looking for a referral?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I just want to know why an electrician in Nevada told me that I can not cap off something that is no longer in use, without getting a permit.
Expert:  Rico Soma replied 1 month ago.

Any modification of this type technically requires a permit. The thinking is that it could be a hazard if it's not done right

Expert:  machinc replied 1 month ago.
The best and safest way to find out if you need a permit is to call your local building inspections office . Different towns can vary depending on what they feel is necessary.
If you need a permit it is no problem . You describe the scope of the work and they will either require a permit or not .
If they fo a before snd after inspection is the usual method.
Expert:  machinc replied 1 month ago.
You supply the electrician with the proof of the permit. The stages for scheduling inspections are described on the permit .
Expert:  machinc replied 1 month ago.
Either way a licensed electrician will have no trouble performing the work.
Its a matter of killing ( removing the breaker at the main box ) the feed to the hot tubs old location .
Then the old box can be left in place or it and the wiring removed in its entirety.
Expert:  machinc replied 1 month ago.
Local codes and requirements vary so do get in touch with your local building/ codes office before hiring an electrician.
Expert:  machinc replied 1 month ago.
It is highly unlikely that there should be a fine for removing something that was in place when you bought the home .
Expert:  machinc replied 1 month ago.
Always use licensed electricians and follow local codes and regulations and things should go well.
Expert:  machinc replied 1 month ago.
The electrician in Nevada was either erring on the side of safety or is correct about needing a permit . My statement at 6:39 should be your guideline for finding out for sure.

Related Electrical Questions