Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

More than a week ago I installed a ceiling fan w/ light kit.

Customer Question

More than a week ago I installed a ceiling fan w/ light kit. I replaced the old switch with a Lutron dimmer switch. Later I replaced the fan switch with a Lutron fan switch and the lights in the fan stopped working. After speaking to Lutron technical support they sent sent me a new dimmer switch. I just wired in the new dimmer switch and the lights still do not work. I have inspected the wiring inside the fan canopy and cannot find any problem after a visual inspection. I'm not sure how to diagnose the problem. How do I verify the dimmer works? DO I need to hook it up to a different switch on a different breaker to verify? How would I verify the light kit? It is just a block connector plugged into the fan wiring.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

To find the problem you'll need a 2 wire voltage tester. Need to test not guess

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have one. Where do I place the wires? The fan canopy?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

With it set to a 250V setting or higher, put one probe on the ground wire and the other to the dimmer connections one at a time. One will be hot all the time the other will drop voltage with dimmer settings. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the breaker is on while I do the test?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Breaker on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Two things:
1) No ground wire in the receptacle
2) I had my son come in to help me and he pulled on the chain and flipped the switch and the lights came on. I *KNOW* I tried this myself earlier.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Well that sounds like it is corrected.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm going to flip the breaker, apply electrical tape to wire connections, stuff everything back into the box, screw it down and hope it all works again.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Very good, let me know if you still need assistance.