How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a house built in 1953. The kitchen is small and the

Customer Question

I have a house built in 1953. The kitchen is small and the breaker panel does not have the 30 inch wide and 72 inch high clearance required today. There is a built-in cabinet under the panel. The kitchen cabinets and counters need resurfacing. If I leave the cabinets and counters in the configuration they were in in 1953 but resurface them, am I grandfathered? Bill
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: It's a new issue. Bill
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I will do carpentry work and use a licensed electrician where approporiate. Bill
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: You tell me what else you need to know. Bill
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You may leave it as is. It was compliant when originally installed. Your only other option is to move it to the exterior of the wall it is currently on and install a 3R panel.