ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

Can you assist with a disconnect question? I have built some

Customer Question

can you assist with a disconnect question? I have built some lighting controllers. and 1 of them is in a different room than the breaker panel. I was not cited a code number but the local inspector wants a means of disconnect for maintenance. without the code I'm not sure he has grounds to force a disconnect to be I sight. it's. for lighting not a motor or anything mechanical. if he turns out to be on to something would a sub panel with breakers feeding the controller relays suffice?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 4 months ago.

Hi Ryan, welcome

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not super familiar with how this works... but I hope this dosnt count as 1 of my 5...or something. welcome back... btw
Expert:  ProGrade replied 4 months ago.

No it doesn't, by any means. I will assist on this issue until you are satisfied, that's how it works. If you are not satisfied, you do not owe anything.

Now. On to your answer...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know enough about how this works to realize u get. paid some which way.. I doubled the it's the full 32 bucks I committed but pry a chunk... I also realize I'm not trying to wore a garage door opener or something.. if u can help make sense of this I'll do a phone call. or whatever to compensate you fairly..
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that should say *** I doubt it's the full 32 bucks .... sorry i have fat fingers sometimes
Expert:  ProGrade replied 4 months ago.

Ryan, one of the basic rules of the code is that the inspector- the code calls him or her the Authority Having Jurisdiction, or for us, the AHJ. Anyway, the AHJ is generally "The Law" when it comes to the code. It is always good to keep them on your side.

If the AHJ requires a disconnect within site, a "Best Practice" whether actually required in your case or not, long story short, just add a disconnect.

Yes what you propose would meet the requirements.

In the meantime I am looking up the applicable code section for your information.

Pls standby...

Expert:  ProGrade replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** session should be adequate...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he's not requiring a disconnect per sey... he actually wanted me to purchase an 8 pole lighting contacter... I found 1 for 240 vokts 20 amps apiece (rqd) for the circuits he's concerned about for about 700$...I have a relationship with the ahj and occasionally he throws things at me like this because he enjoys the back and forth about the code.. I've lost a cpl and won a cpl... we currently each have a "major" win... and he has 3 "minor" wins to my 2...this is probably minor... however he usually sites a code... and this time he didn't.. a bit more background. I grow medical marijuana and he dosnt like any of the controllers you can easily purchase off the shelf.. so I took a huge gamble and built this contraption at a fairly substantial cost. he was happy with everything.. except the no disconnect thing... it seems highly redundant to me to add a 2nd disconnect when there Allredy is one in the room next door. it's not like. it's available to the general public... f**k it's got a locked door for God's sake.. (pardon my language)
Expert:  ProGrade replied 4 months ago.

Interesting.

Also interesting that he did not cite a code section. I cannot find a pertinent one.

But since you mentioned that it is locked and not accessible to an "Unqualified Person", throw NFPA 70E at him. The equipment is only accessible to qualified persons.

Good luck, hoping for another win for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that made me 100 percent giggle my ass off. 32$ well spent.. it's not really an answer... but it's f**king fantastic at that... if I can figure it out.. I'll be sure to update you on what happens... 70e.. just might be perfect... thanks pro
Expert:  ProGrade replied 4 months ago.

Yes, please send an update, just reply here. Glad you got a laugh out of it too, thanks