Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Replastering a wall after a leak the workers were "shocked"

Customer Question

Replastering a wall after a leak the workers were "shocked" and found voltage in the wall. we turned all electric off had an electrician come and he could not find a staple or a screw as they suspected. now it doesnt register electricity any more. but why? is it safe?
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: 15 years old maybe and yes electrician is mystified
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: solve the mystery and need to know if its safe
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rico Soma replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If your electrician didn't find anything then it should be safe. There's no way I can diagnose a one off occurance from here.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
but what would be a reason this happened if they couldn't find a screw or staple in the wiring?

Like I said before there's no way I can diagnose a 1 time occurance from behind a computer screen miles from where you are. You had an electrician check it out and he didn't find a problem so there's not much more you can do short of tearing the wall open on the chance you might find something.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We did tear the wall open so he could try to find if there was a screw or staple but he didn't find a thing. now its not registering anymore and we wonder why

There's no way I can tell from here. You haven't given me any info that would point to a cause.