Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I was just told it would cost me $450 to change a light

Customer Question

I was just told it would cost me $450 to change a light switch in my mobile home to get a better operating one in there. Seems a bit pricey
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just a short while. The light isn't staying bright so I tool it apart to change it. There are 3 wires going in one for outlet and one for fan and one for light
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can do it cheaper than 450
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. The guy who looked at said it was an older kind they put in mobile homes and they should all be changed throughout the house
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Unfortunately, many mobile homes used an older/cheaper style of switches and receptacles. The wires are just inserted into a stab. This is not a safe installation since the wires can easily come loose. Modern switches have side screws which the wires should be terminated to.

2) Depending upon the existing box types and quantities involved, $450 to replace numerous device quantities may not be out of line. I recommend to obtain a firm quote from 3 different licensed electrical contractors and then choose the middle of the road price as this will be the most accurate.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks. This guy wanted 450 just to do one
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

No problem, glad to assist.

$450 to replace 1 device? You gotta be kidding me. OMG, he is trying to rip you off big time.

I suggest to contact a few other local licensed electricians and get some firm quotes from them.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Any other questions?