Sam Irvin
Sam Irvin, Electrician
Experience:  Electrician WG-2805-10 at US Air Force, 45th Civil Engineering Sq.
16916066

I started having problems with losing power to the bathroom

I started having problems with losing power to the bathroom and half of a connecting bedroom. The power would restore in about 30 minutes. I changed the outlet but noticed burnt wires.Now other outlets in different rooms are losing power but restoring later. My stove currently has lights/clock but won't heat. I've started checking everything with a multimeter which results in normal reading. Fuses are all good, 120 reading on the outlets. However, the back of the stove readings are 120,105,240. I'm thinking the bathroom wires are the problem but would that cause problems in the kitchen that's not connected as well?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About a year with the bathroom, after I changed the outlet the problems mostly stopped til recently. My wife stopped using the adapter to plug in multiple things: hair dryer, curling iron...kitchen just recently started
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm not sure
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It's an old fuse box, probably 1957 not a breaker

Hello, your main issue with all the receptacles losing power sounds like you may have a loose neutral connection at your panel. You noticed burnt wires at your receptacle? You need to find out why they are burnt. Burned insulation is not something you want inside your walls. The insulating value is now compromised and heavy loading of the receptacle could cause a fire there. My advice is have an electrician replace your wire run to that receptacle and check your main panel for loose or burned connections.