Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a switched outlet (a switch that comes before the…

I have a switched outlet...
I have a switched outlet (a switch that comes before the outlet and turns the power to the outlet on and off).
I want to remove the switch and replace it with a blank, thus capping the wires in the box so that the outlet is always on and there is no switch in between.
Looking in the electrical box for the switch, there is one set of wires coming into the box. The set has one of each: red, white, black, ground. All wires are connected to the switch.
My house was built in 2001.
What wires do I connect, which wires do I leave capped by themself if any?
4/2/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great thanks.

There are a couple of ways to accomplish it. The simple way is to remove the switch and wirenut the 2 wires together. The alternative is to do some rewiring in all switched outlet boxes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm just looking to do the simple way and wirenut the wires together. The problem is I have a Red, Black, and White.My guess would be that I wirenut the Red + Black together, and leave the White by itself. That is the answer I'm looking for.

Having the 3 wires on the switch means it is a 3 way and there is another switch. Do you want to eliminate one or both? The connections depend on what you want to do. I would need to know the wire colors on the switch gold screws to give you the connections required.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wow that changes things. I found the other switch. The original switch (Switch A) I was talking about (the one at the end of the chain) has the Red wire connected to a black screw. The black and white are connected to silver screws.The other switch (up the chain, Switch B) is in a box with another light switch (Switch C) that is a 3-way switch for a separate light.Switch B has two sets of wires (Black/White/Red/Ground). The Reds are wire nut connected. The Whites of all wires in box (including Switch B and C) are wire nut connected. There is a black wire connecting both Switch B and C on the black screw. There is a black wire going to Switch C and the black screw, coming from one of the wire sets with a red wire. There is a black wire going to Switch B and the black screw, coming from a wire set with just a black/white/ground (guessing this is the main feed from the breaker?).So I guess I would need to cap off both light switches (which I was planning on doing, I originally thought Switch B controller a separate outlet than Switch A, now I know they both control the same two outlets).
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I forgot to mention that the black and white wire connected to Switch B and the Silver screws goes into the other wire set with the red wire (not the wire set with the red wire that has a black going to Switch C's black screw).
To eliminate both switches and have the outlets live all the time, wirenut all 3 wires together at both switch locations.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To make sure I understand.For Switch A: wirenut the red/white/black wires together.
For Switch B: wirenut the white/black/black wires together (the reds are already wirenutted between the two, the extra black is whats connecting the black screws of Switch B and Switch C as well as what I believe is the feed from the breaker box).
Remove the 3 wires from the switches and put the 3 together at each.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician