Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

York 1101B. Supply side 3 wire. Light side 4 wire. Should…

York 1101B. Supply...

York 1101B. Supply side 3 wire. Light side 4 wire. Should the red be connected to the bridge? Light works fine and goes on and off with the red on the bridge to the left of the hot black on it's on screw

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I just replaced my neighbors digital tork. He's 90 and has no idea how to program the old one

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Already did.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No. The light works with the on and off position of the timer when I toggle back and forth

2/25/2017
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question!

Is the timer spdt? are the lighting circuits independent of each other ? Can you send a pic of the timer and wiring ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't tonight it's at my neighbors house. Two gold screws on the bridge. Then left to right white screw and gold screw on the other side.Left to right. Red wire to light, black wire from feed, two whites tied together to one wire going to silver, black wire from light. Does that make sense? Four screws left to right.

what color wire do you have red black and white on the timer and two whites and two hots on the lights ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think yes? The red of the light and the black of the feed are on the bridge. The two whites are tied and going to the light. So I think the answer is the two whites and the black are feeding the light as that is the is the side you pull to "on" and the side with black from the circuit breaker and the red from the four wire are connected to.

Yes! your feeding the timer with the one light circuit also and your sharing the neutrals !

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No doesn't look like that. That looks like the digital wiring of the old one
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That should say the black from the circuit breaker and the red from the light are on the bridge side that you pull for "off"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which makes sense because you'd have to power the light with the circuit black

yes and your powering the timer with the black from the breaker

look at this manual

Please give me a good rating before you sign off tonight !

Thanks

George

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok cool so L has the red attached from the light. 1 has black from the breaker. X has a jumper from the two tied whites. 2 has the black from the light.

Yes you got it!

You have me mixed up ! L and 1 are the black from the breaker and whites go to X and the red from the light goes to 2

L and 1 are jumpered

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just so I'm clear. L and 1 should be the blacks from both sides? Red goes to 2 and both whites are tied into X already so I'm striight there.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
L and 1 are bridged already.

yes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok cool. The red in that position for the night shouldn't do any damage correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I appreciate your help. My neighbor is a90 year old WWII vet. I do anything I can to help

the lights should be on in that position

if you want when you can take a pic of the wiring send it to me so I can make sure ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'll leave this open till tomorrow. He's in bed now. The switches worked on and off when I toggled them before I left his house so hopefully the lights go off at 545 AM when they are supposed to LOL

Ok

They shouldn't go off if I got you right

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. At least they work now. They haven't worked for a month or so and his house is dark once the other lights go off at 2 AM until they come back on at 5AM. Some kids about a week ago went through cars in driveways for change. I decided we would fix his lights after that happened. He lives alone. His wife died about three years ago so he's alone in that house with the hand held thingy that calls for help if gets injured.

Good for you ! I'm a Naim Vet appreciate your helping a brother Vet !

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You're the man George. I really appreciate your service to this country of ours.

I'll contact you tomorrow!

Did the lights shut off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yep. I'm headed over now to snap a pic

where both the red and the black from the light connected before?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On the digital one he had before yes. And I left everything the way I hooked it up last night

I appears you don't need the red one? Disconnect it and see if you can bypass the timer ?

you need only one hot and a neutral going out to the light!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no switch upstairs it goes directly to the light. Let me see if it the timer works on and off with it disconnected
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In the on position only one light comes on with the red off the screw. They are both off in the off position

Ok put the red on the right with the other Black and see what happens? do you have the left jumpered ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No but it was jumpered to the right on the digital timer. Red and black on the same screw leaves the light on permanently

ok if that is the way you want it leave it on the right !

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should the black and red same set be switched to black on the left red on the right?

the red has to be on the left and jumpered if you want it on all the time !

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No he wants the timer to control the lights.

ok than they both belong on the right!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did that and the light stayed on permanently once I put the red on the left i could turn the light on and off via the timer switches

Ok leave it on the right! I'm more familiar with intermatic timers, without a diagram I'm guessing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me try and switch the black and red from the switch side but it seems counter intuitive given supply side and red wire would be opposite and on top together on a typical light switch

Yeah I'm scratching my head!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The digital one was a holy crap moment believe me.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's exactly how I have it save the red wire. I'm thinking that they used the red to travel to the other light on the other side of the door and that's why it won't shut off if you don't power the red

And I've been doing this for over 40 years !!

Please give me a positive rating when your done ?

Say Hi to your Vet buddy from another Vet!

He's one of a few left! My Dad was a wwII vet but he's been gone for almost 20 years !

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I really appreciate you bother. I'll give you the highest rating and I'll see if I can get you for a project I have at my house. The lights flicker when a fan is on and I'm trying to figure out how the hell the guy who had the home before used all the wires. I replaced the fan six months ago and I've got to fool around with it. How do you request a specific person?

Thanks!

You can ask for me directly when you need more help when you start a new question !

Have a good day !

George

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok great
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Be well

Thanks!

George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks again!

Remember you can ask for me directly when you need more help when you start a new question !

Have a good day !

George