Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I bought a timer that has 4 wires. a blue,, and black. my

Customer Question
i bought a timer that...
i bought a timer that has 4 wires. a blue, green , white and black. my wall box line only has a black, white and bare ground wire. how do i hook that up?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Electrical
1/26/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 10 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please provide me with the timer manufacturer name and model number?

2) How many wires in the switch box? 3 wires .....ie..... 1 black, 1 white and 1 ground or additional wires?

Defiant timer #49814
The box has only 3 wires. Black, white and ground bare wirw
Just text ple as e
Waiting
Waiting more

Thanks for the replies.

1) Unfortunately, the Defiant timer won't work with your existing wiring. This timer requires a neutral wire connection and your wall box does not contain a neutral.

2) If using the Defiant model, you would need to re-wire the wall switch box so you have the required neutral wire.

3) Better option is to return the Defiant timer and purchase an Intermatic model timer ST01. A neutral wire is not required on the Intermatic model.

See link shown below for the Intermatic model sold at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Intermatic-15-Amp-Heavy-Duty-Astro-In-Wall-Digital-Timer-ST01/203954917

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Any other questions?

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor